Stepping into the Ring . . . Getting a Love Tap




            Have you ever had those times of prayer and contemplation when you feel like you stepped into a boxing ring with God? And, much like any of our chances against a real heavy weight champion, we get, not only knocked down, but knocked out. Kierkegaard wrote about the Bible that it is not only speaking to me, it is speaking about me. This does not only happen reading the Bible. There are other books that bring the same response. They seem to just pummel us where God is concerned. It can be so convicting that our selfish, complacent faith is bruised and beaten. It is not that God wants to beat us into submission. That’s not his style or modus operandi. He loves us too much for that. But, there are times when what we encounter brings us to the point of feeling that we have been dropped into the ring with God.
            This happened to me today in such a powerful way. It was overwhelming. These times are real and too often few and far between. I know it is my fault because God promises that when we seek him we will find him. The fault lies directly with me! I am not seeking those intense yet meaningful moments enough. I may feel like I get beat up in them. Upon further reflection, I really do need to get knocked around a little to lift me out of my complacency. As Christians, we have so much information that we have read and heard. Too many times we relegate them to the back burner, packing them away for future reference, never to be seen or heard of again. When God reminds me these things, it becomes more than an “ah ha” moment. I am brought face to face with my indifference and ineffectiveness bordering on neglect and dismissal of everything God has called me to do. I can claim I forgot but I am not sure God will accept that feeble excuse.
            The good news is that the reason God reminds me of these things, while convicting, is to restore my sense of calling and mission. When I have neglected what he I am supposed to do, a reminder – either hard or soft – is needed to get me back on track. God is not punishing me but reminding me. I can be hard headed and at those times I need a little more “inspiration.” I know at those precise moments that God is giving me a love tap. I can be certain of this because I know, that if he wanted to, God could knock me out and I would be out for good. So, I cherish these moments and appreciate the delicate, gentle hand God uses to bring me to my senses. I may feel knocked out but his love, grace and mercy are the smelling salts I need to be revived. I also recognize afterwards that my initial stepping into the ring with God was for my good. And, I am thankful.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God or Molek?

Ninja's For Christ