The Word of the Day: Tenacious


The Word of the Day: Tenacious

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

tenacity:          the quality or state of being tenacious
tenacious:        1 a: not easily pulled apart
                           b: tending to adhere or cling especially to another substance
                        2 a: persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired

            The word jumped off the page. I was reading a book and that word just exploded in my face. I love that word. It’s so rich with meaning. It reminds me of a little dog with his jaws securely locked on the ankle of the mailman. Of course, that image only makes sense to those of us old enough to remember when mailmen walked and delivered the mail door to door.

            This word does bring to mind a serious question about our relationship with God, our journey with him. In our life with him, are we tenacious? Are we not easily pulled apart from God, clinging tightly to him? I must admit – hate to admit - that there are times when tenacity is not a word I would use to describe my spiritual life, my life with Jesus Christ. This is to my shame and I am poorer for it. If I do not have the quality of tenacity in my faith journey I am actually saying that it of less, or worse yet, no value to me. It is not high on my priority list because I do not desire it or do not want it badly enough, if at all. Jesus is just an addition benefit. I can take him or leave him but never be persistent – tenacious – in maintaining my relationship with him.

            Saying this about Jesus Christ demeans, devalues all he did for me through his life, death and resurrection. He came to earth to tenaciously pursue sinners and went to the cross tenaciously to die for sinners. Can I honestly say that this is of no value to me here and now much less for eternity?

           I am certain Jesus winces when thoughts and feelings of this nature enter into my mind. But, in essence, I am also devaluing myself. Jesus Christ’s once and for all sacrifice for me was not all it added up to because I am not worth the effort Jesus made on my behalf. When “stinkin thinkin” like this arises, I act as though I am not a child of the King.

            It is interesting to note – especially after the recent royal wedding – that the British royal family has a strict code of conduct. There are a whole lot of do’s and do not’s. Some include the stroke pattern for stirring your afternoon tea – back and forth, never in a circular motion – and they are forbidden from playing Monopoly. We may find these rules and traditions ridiculous but then again, we are not royal in that sense. If we claim to be children of the King, not the King of England but of the whole universe, then we are royal, and our actions should be in line with royal expectations. Our quality or state of being tenacious should look like and act like the One we claim to follow as Lord and Savior. Our tenacity should be demonstrated in our tenacious striving to do all that the King of King asks of us.

            I think the greatest epitaph for all Christians would be: He or she was tenacious in their relationship with Jesus Christ. They clung to him and could not be pulled apart. Jesus said he would never lose any that the Father has given him. (John 6:37) He will not reject us or turn away from us. But the same cannot be for us. He offers, and we have the ability to respond or refuse. We can choose to cling tightly to him or turn away. Clinging is costly. But is has eternal rewards.

            Ask yourself daily, am I going to be tenacious in my relationship with Jesus today? Cling tightly as if your life depended on it. Because, it does!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ninja's For Christ

Are We There Yet? A Defense of Advent

God or Molek?